Sunday, June 21, 2009

Culture of Kindness (sermon notes)

A big thanks to Jerry Peyton (Cindy Dara's Dad) for sharing his Father's Day monologue in today's service!

Always have to start my sermons with something funny:
In honor of Daddys Day...
Four expectant fathers were in Minneapolis hospital waiting room, while their wives were in labor. The nurse arrived and announced to the first man, "Congratulations sir, You're the father of twins."
"What a coincidence" the man said with some obvious pride. "I work for the Minnesota Twins baseball team."
The nurse returned in a little while and turned to the second man, "You sir, are the father of triplets."
"Wow, That's really an incredible coincidence " he answered.
"I work for the 3M Corporation." My buddies at work will never let me live this one down.
An hour later, while the other two men were passing cigars around, the nurse came back, this time she turn to the 3rd man - who had been quiet in the corner. She announced that his wife had just given birth to quadruplets.
Stunned, he barely could reply. "Don't tell me another coincidence?" asked the nurse. After finally regaining his composure, he said "I don't believe it, I work for the Four Seasons Hotel."
After hearing this, everybody's attention turned to the 4th guy, who had just fainted, flat out on the floor. The nurse rushed to his side and after some time, he slowly gained back his consiousness.
When he was finally able to speak, you could hear him whispering repeatedly the same phrase over and over again.
"I should have never taken that job at 7-Up "I should have never taken that job at 7-Up "I should have never taken that job at 7-Up...

Some of you may have noticed that Pastor Short is in a sling…
Dr. says he has to stay that way for 6 wks.
So, I’m taking this opportunity to cast more vision on Wednesday evenings regarding our denomination, AG…
So for a short time Adult Bible Study and Homebuilders will be combined…
We started last Wed and will continue for 6 weeks…
Also, another fun thing in the works is an outside service and BBQ here on campus the end of July…if it goes well we may start doing it once in awhile.

Today I’m continuing a new VISION sermon series…
Let’s Dream Again church, we even have some extra space to dream about!
Again regarding the change, change is hard but the hear the Holy Spirit whisper: Don't be sad it's ending, Be happy it happened...
Everybody needs a ministry, Everybody is a minister
What is God calling you to do at NBCC?
I pray we are truly creating a NEW culture of Mission, Love, Passion, Team, Celebration…and today we get to talk about Creating a Culture of KINDNESS

How fitting, the Lord always works it out...
On Moms day we were discussing a new name…something mother’s agonize over for their children…
And on Dads day, Kindness...
Is there any greater calling for a father than to be kind?
Some may say: no, providing for the family is more important…
I say, an unkind father who is good at providing, makes a messy home…
Kindness must be a top priority for the home!

The word kindness shows up in the NIV 59x
Let me share some thoughts from another Bible word search, so FUN!
Genesis 32:10...
I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two groups...
Jacob is about to be reunited with the brother he cheated…
This is the same passage of scripture the Lord took me to on Moms day, This is where Jacob wrestles with God…
Ok let me share today’s first lesson on kindness before I explode…
1. We are all unworthy of Kindness…

Whether it’s Jacob being confronted with his cheating self…
Or You and I confronted with our own sin…
If you wait to accept God’s kindness until you deserve it?
If you wait to show kindness until they deserve it?
We are all unworthy of kindness…
None of us are entitled to anything…
Listen American, that STUFF you’re holding so tightly to is fleeting and empty…
The only thing worth fighting for is my Jesus and His Amazing Grace!
KINDNESS by Chris Tomlin!

Ruth 1:8Then Naomi said to her two daughters-in-law, "Go back, each of you, to your mother's home. May the LORD show kindness to you, as you have shown to your dead and to me.Ruth 2:20"The LORD bless him!" Naomi said to her daughter-in-law. "He has not stopped showing his kindness to the living and the dead." She added, "That man is our close relative; he is one of our kinsman-redeemers."Ruth 3:10"The LORD bless you, my daughter," he replied. "This kindness is greater than that which you showed earlier: You have not run after the younger men, whether rich or poor.
The book of Ruth has the word kindness 3x
I encourage you to familiarize yourself with Ruth again
The Lesson the Holy Spirit would have us learn today is
2. Kindness shown creates hope from despair…

You never know just how far a simple, random act of kindness can be carried by the Holy Spirit!
This Saturday we are passing out free water bottles at Rooster Crow…
Please Pray that this simple act of kindness will build spiritual bridges, will even change some minds about what church is all about…
Many sinners have not experienced kindness from the church…
God help us change that!
The invite cards I’ve created this week say…
Just wanted to show you God’s love in a practical way…
and have some info about our church…
I hope you will show up Saturday and help out!
The details are in your bulletin!
(thanks to rusty for being Boaz for the church, providing the water bottles…if you didn’t “get” what I just said check out ruth this week in your personal bible study)

One more scriptural proof of kindness turning despair into hope…We all know that out of all of scripture JOB has the biggest excuse to whine and complain…
But check out
Job 10:12You gave me life and showed me kindness, and in your providence watched over my spirit.
Those are not always the kinds of words I use when things don’t go my way…

1. We are all unworthy of Kindness
2. Kindness shown creates hope from despair
3. Please don’t take God’s kindness for granted


Romans 2:4Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?
Romans 11:22Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.
2Corinthians 6:6in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love;
Galatians 5:22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Ephesians 2:7in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus.
Colossians 3:12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

I dreamed I was in heaven, Where an angel kept God's book. He was writing so intently I just had to take a look. It was not, at first, his writing That made me stop and think But the fluid in the bottle That was marked eternal ink. This ink was most amazing, Dark black upon his blotter But as it touched the parchment It became as clear as water. The angel kept on writing, But as quickly as a wink The words were disappearing With that strange eternal ink. The angel took no notice, But kept writing on and on. He turned each page and filled it Till all its space was gone. I thought he wrote to no avail, His efforts were so vain For he wrote a thousand pages That he'd never read again. And as I watched and wondered that This awesome sight was mine, I actually saw a word stay black As it dried upon the line. The angel wrote and I thought I sawA look of satisfaction. At last he had some print to show For all his earnest action. A line or two dried dark and stayed As black as black can be, But strangely the next paragraph Became invisible to see. The book was getting fuller, The angel's records true, But most of it was blank, with Just a few words coming through. I knew there was some reason, But as hard as I could think, I couldn't grasp the significance Of that eternal ink. The mystery burned within me, And I finally dared to ask The angel to explain to me Of his amazing task. And what I heard was frightful As the angel turned his head. He looked directly at me, And this is what he said... I know you stand and wonder At what my writing's worth But God has told me to record The lives of those on earth. The book that I am filling Is an accurate account Of every word and action And to what they do amount. And since you have been watching I must tell you what is true; The details of my journal Are the strict accounts of YOU. The Lord asked me to watch you As each day you worked and played. I saw you as you went to church, I saw you as you prayed. But I was told to document Your life through all the week. I wrote when you were proud and bold, I wrote when you were meek. I recorded all your attitudes Whether they were good or bad. I was sorry that I had to write The things that make God sad. So now I'll tell the wonder Of this eternal ink, For the reason for its mystery Should make you stop and think. This ink that God created To help me keep my journal Will only keep a record of Things that are eternal. So much of life is wasted On things that matter not So instead of my erasing, Smudging ink and ugly blot. I just keep writing faithfully and Let the ink do all the rest For it is able to decide What's useless and what's best. And God ordained that as I write Of all you do and say Your deeds that count for nothing Will just disappear away.When books are opened someday,As sure as heaven is true;The Lord's eternal ink will tell What mattered most to you. If you just lived to please yourself The pages will be bare, And God will issue no reward For you when you get there. In fact, you'll be embarrassed, You will hang your head in shame Because you did not give yourself In love to Jesus' Name. Yet maybe there will be a few Recorded lines that stayed That showed the times you truly cared, Sincerely loved and prayed. But you will always wonder As you enter heaven's door How much more glad you would have been If only you'd done more. For I record as God sees, I don't stop to even think Because the truth is written With God's eternal ink. When I heard the angel's storyI fell down and wept and cried For as yet I still was dreaming I hadn't really died. And I said: O angel tell the Lord That soon as I awake I'll live my life for Jesus--I'll do all for His dear sake. I'll give in full surrender; I'll do all He wants me to; I'll turn my back on self and sin And whatever isn't true. And though the way seems long and rough I promise to endure. I'm determined to pursue the things That are holy, clean and pure. With Jesus as my helper, I will win lost souls to Thee, For I know that they will live with Christ For all eternity. And that's what really matters When my life on earth is gone That I will stand before the Lord And hear Him say, well done. For is it really worth it As my life lies at the brink? And I realize that God keeps books With His eternal ink. Should all my life be focused On things that turn to dust? From this point on I'll serve the Lord; I can, I will, I must! I will NOT send blank pages Up to God's majestic throne For where that record's going now Is my eternal home. I'm giving all to Jesus I now have seen the link For I saw an angel write my life With God's Eternal Ink.
(the actual account of a dream) by Craig F. Pitts

Can New Beginnings Christian Center truly be a NEW culture of Mission, Love, Passion, TEAM, Celebration and Kindness?
I’m daring to believe…

Hear it again and for the first time…
No Matter Where you’ve been
No Matter what you’ve done
You can begin again
Come to Jesus

No comments: