Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Culture of TEAM (sermon notes)

I always have to start my sermons with something funny: Two boys were arguing when the teacher entered the room. The teacher says, "Why are you arguing?" One boy answers, "We found a ten dollar bill and decided to give it to whoever tells the biggest lie." "You should be ashamed of yourselves," said the teacher, "When I was your age I didn't even know what a lie was." The boys gave the ten dollars to the teacher.

Today I’m continuing a new VISION sermon series…
Let’s Dream Again church!
Please visit the Vision Bulletin Board in the foyer…
The LORD stopped whispering and MEGAPHONED me some clear marching orders…
I truly believe God is giving us A NEW NAME!
Scripture is full of God changing names because of the power in a name…or the importance of reputation...
No matter Where You’ve been
No Matter What You’ve done
You can begin again...that's the gospel of Jesus Christ!
NEW BEGINNINGS CHRISTIAN CENTER of the Assemblies of God is now our legal name on file with the sec. of state’s office…
I feel it is important to send a clear msg to our community and within these walls that the Assembly of God in Rogue River is a place of NEW BEGINNINGS in Jesus…
Why would we want to staye stuck in the past...His mercies are new every morning...
Really all we’re doing is giving ourselves an identity…
Before the name change we were simply identified by our denomination…
Also I hope you understand why We’re choosing Christian Center… because we want to communicate that we are Christian 1st and AG 2nd…
Methods change But the Message remains the same
Ministries Begin and End But The Church will Never die
Matthew 16:18…Jesus said… I will build my church, and the gates of Hell will not overcome it.
We’ve already talked about creating a culture of Mission, Love and Passion at NBCC

Today we get to continue creating a culture of TEAM
My favorite acronymn for TEAM is
Together Everyone Accomplishes More
There’s my four point sermon today…
1. T is for Together

I did a Bible word search on the word TOGETHER!
It only shows up in the NIV 383 times…
One of the verses that showed up gave me a good laugh…
Deuteronomy 22:10…Do not plow with an ox and donkey yoked together…
Without abusing scriptures context too much…I wonder how many times we go thru life frustrated because we are yoked to that which God has not ordained!?
just a thought…

In Esther chapter 4 verse 16
Esther sends this msg to Mordecai
"Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish."
If you are familiar with the book of Esther, you know that Esther was raised up as scripture declares “for such a time as this”…her actions ultimately saved all of Israel!
We all have “such a time as this” moments…where God’s divine purpose and will, cannot be accomplished unless some TOGETHERNESS happens!

Psalm 34:3
Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together.
Something special happens when we gather TOGETHER to lift up Jesus!
Ecclesiastes 4:11 says
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?
We desperately need one another!
The Lone Ranger appeal is a false reality!
It’s anything but appealing…it’s empty, it’s lonely…
The person who has chosen to allow their hurt to draw them into seclusion…who says to themselves and others…I don’t need anyone else, I’m fine by myself…will lead a bitter, hopeless life…
TOGETHERNESS brings warmth, brings hope
Especially if that Togetherness is revolving around Jesus

Even if it looks like I’m alone I’m not
I always have togetherness with my Jesus
The Lord reminded me of scripture this week that helped me to breathe…
Isaiah 26:3 amp
You will guard him and keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind (both its inclination and its character) is stayed on You, because he commits himself to You, leans on You, and hopes confidently in You.
That’s TOGETHERNESS
That’s the summation of life
Everyday is a very good day when you discipline your mind to be stayed on the LORD JESUS

Amos 3:3 was a little interesting
Do two walk together unless they have agreed to do so?
I think this is why church membership is important…
Commitment, Covenant is in sorry shape in today’s culture…
Again let me explain the simple logo for NBCC, an open circle of love, open for people to come, open for people to go…
But not a flippancy or indifference…
Togetherness means it hurts to have to let people go…

Ofcourse when you do a bible word search on “Together” Matthew 18:20 has to be the center
Jesus said…
For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."
Mark 10:9 says
Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
AND
Acts 2:1 says
When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.
I wonder what would happen if we actually all came TOGETHER in one place at the same time?
Mabye we would get a little more Pentecostal!
Well that was 9 of the 383 times God’s word uses the word TOGETHER…

SO we’re creating a culture of TEAM
T stands for together
and #2 E stands for EVERYONE

Everyone is a minister
Everyone needs a ministry
Mabye one of these days I’ll phone thru the church master list and simply ask every member or attender…what is your ministry?
If you don’t have an answer, that means we are one person short of making an eternal difference!
This church stuff is life and death, heaven and hell, hope or despair…I still believe in the church of Jesus Christ…I LOVE the church, the hope of the world!
Don’t wait for me to call you…the Holy Spirit is calling you right now…show up to the TEAM mtg. today and tell me what God is call you to do!?

T stands for Together
E stands for Everyone
and #3 A stands for Accomplishes

Let’s go to the parable of the sower again…
Matthew 13
I think this story Jesus told is a wonderful perspective on life. We are but seed sowers…the condition of the soil of our own hearts we can do something about…but must leave other people’s soil up to the Holy Spirit…even leave the fruit production up to Him…
Remember we love em he fixes em…
We catch em the Holy Spirit cleans em…
I don’t think we will know our true accomplishments until we reach eternity…True treasure, true accomplishment cannot be measured by human wisdom…
Remember Matthew 6:20
But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

I think accomplishment is also wrapped up in our words…
Our words create our way…
I’m not trying to be cooky…
But what you think about creates your environment…
What would happen if you truly kept your mind stayed on Him?
Here’s something I’ve shared before that may just be a timely word today…(bulletin insert)
Susan Maycini gives 12 Times to Hold Your Tongue
It’s nearly always best to remain silent in the following situations:
1. When you have a criticism about a church service or ministry leader. It will only be destructive to call someone else’s attention to the flaw you’ve noticed.
2. When you’re tempted to say, “I told you so.”
3. When you want to complain about the weather, the traffic, the policy, the president, your spouse, your kids…anything. Think about how grumbling affects others, and choose to focus on the positive.
4. When you’re criticized. A response may be called for, but it is usually best not to give it in the heat of the moment.
5. When you have information that makes someone look bad.
6. When someone is upset about a problem or something that’s happened, and you’ve had a similar experience. Relate what you went through only if your objective is to pass on something you learned –be sure you’re not shifting the focus of the conversation to yourself.
7. When you’re tempted to judge or criticize someone.
8. When a friend’s situation would make a great point in the conversation, but you don’t have her permission to share her story with others. For example, You’re discussing a problem in marriage and you want to say, “I have a friend whose husband…” Even if you don’t use her name, you’re treading on dangerous ground.
9. When you‘re tempted to correct someone on a minor point as they relate a story or experience.
10.When you think someone has made a poor decision, but it’s too late for them to change their mind. And, in most cases, be silent when people haven’t asked for your opinion about what they should do.
11.When you’re tempted to tell something about yourself for the purpose of impressing someone.
12.When you have information that might discourage others. Don’t tell labor horror stories to a woman who’s pregnant for the first time, and don’t mention that someone you know of died from the disease that your friend’s family member just contracted.
You might say…many of these are just common sense…I am constantly surprised by people’s ability to have no sense…and that includes me…

T stands for together
E stands for Everyone
A stands for Accomplishes
and #4 M stands for MORE

we need to be people of contentment
but there’s also something called a holy dissatisfaction
always wanting More of Jesus
I shared some inspiring words on the "Beauty of the Church" by Bill Hybels in his book, Courageous Leadership...

Can NBCC truly be a NEW culture of Mission, Love, Passion, TEAM?
I’m daring to believe…

Hear it again and for the first time…
No Matter Where you’ve been
No Matter what you’ve done
You can begin again
Come to Jesus

No comments: