Monday, July 20, 2009

God is Bigger than your disappointment (sermon notes)

Have to start my sermons with something funny:
A small town prosecuting attorney called his first witness to the stand in a trial--a grandmotherly, elderly woman. He approached her and asked, "Mrs. Jones, do you know me?" She responded, "Why, yes, I do know you Mr. Williams. I've known you since you were a young boy. And frankly, you've been a big disappointment to me. You lie, you cheat on your wife, you manipulate people and talk about them behind their backs. You think you're a rising big shot when you haven't the brains to realise you never will amount to anything more than a two-bit paper pusher. Yes, I know you."
The lawyer was stunned. Not knowing what else to do he pointed across the room and asked, "Mrs. Williams, do you know the defence attorney?"
She again replied, "Why, yes I do. I've known Mr. Bradley since he was a youngster, too. I used to baby-sit him for his parents. And he, too, has been a real disappointment to me. He's lazy, bigoted, he has a drinking problem. The man can't build a normal relationship with anyone and his law practice is one of the shoddiest in the entire state. Yes, I know him."
At this point, the judge rapped the courtroom to silence and called both counsellors to the bench. In a very quiet voice, he said with menace, "If either of you asks her if she knows me, you'll be in jail for contempt within 5 minutes!"

Life is filled with disappointment
Today I’m beginning a sermon series entitled: God is Bigger
We’ll start with…God is Bigger than your disappointment!

Turn to Psalm 77,
People disappoint us. Our parents, children, boss, pastor, friends disappoint us.
We disappoint ourselves.
When you are experiencing emotions, go to the Psalms. The Psalms are the favorite of many Christians simply because they express emotions.
They give permission to be human. They are poems that tell about life as it really is.

Psalm 77:1-9 (Can you hear the disappointment?)

My Pastor, Brent Sorlien, teaches: Disappointment lives in the gap.
The gap between our expectations and reality.
We all face it; life isn't perfect for any of us.

6 terrorizing questions in verses 7-9.
Sometimes the best thing to say is "I don't know."
If I could figure out everything about God, what would that say about God?

It is OK to ask questions. God never condemns us for asking questions! But, be open to the answer! Wait around long enough for him to speak the answer to you.

Sometimes, bad things happen to "good" people. Good things happen to "bad" people.
Disappointment doesn’t need to be a poison in my life.
Let God turn the lemon to lemonade...ashes to beauty...

1. My Disappointment can bring trust in God!

Psalm 77:10-15

“Selah”...pause, rest. Catch your breath, take a break.
Sometimes the best thing we can do is take a nap; take a walk around the block, get a cup of coffee and just sit still – whatever works for you. Deep breath. Selah.

Think. Remember. Meditate. (Underline!)

Joshua 1:6-9

“Faith means believing in advance what will only make sense in reverse." Phillip Yancey
Book: Disappointment with God

Trust is:
· An action
Trust is something you DO. It is not just sitting there, you actively trust God.

· A process
Trust isn’t automatic, isn’t once and for all – it’s a process, a journey! Each day, each step!

· Not easy
To see a purpose beyond my pain.

2. My Disappointment can bring growth!

James 1:2-4

We tend to think...if only God would show up and fix this...weild miraculous power...But...
Despite many signs and interventions, God's Old Testament followers routinely blew Him off in favor of idolatry and debauchery.
In addition, Christ Himself was abandoned by those He healed or knew Him best.
God, like any lover, wants to be loved for who He is, and not for what He can do for us.

Trouble + Trust = a Testimony!
When we add trust to our trials, we can come out on the other side with a testimony of how God helped us – and we can continue the circle of encouragement!

3. My Disappointment can bring hope!

Psalm 77:16-20

Disappointment should remind me that there is more to life than this life!
He wants us to live our lives on our tip-toes – looking forward to the future that he has for us.

No comments: